- Summer Power Academy participants traveled all over New York City this summer as they explored the summer theme, “We Built This City”. Students visited The Museum of Modern Art, The Met, The Intrepid, The New York Transit Museum, The New York Historical Society, Bronx Zoo, and South Street Seaport this summer.
- Our Power Academy programs will begin on Wednesday, September 12th. We are looking forward to a great school year!
- LTW participants began their school year on Wednesday, September 5th. LTW program managers have been busy planning for the school year.
- The GRIOT program will begin on Thursday, September 13th. GRIOT staff members attended a planning meeting on Tuesday, September 4th.
Back To School Teacher Starter Packs
The Teaching Channel knows that the beginning of the school year is a busy time for teachers, so they created “Teacher Starter Packs”. These starter packs include checklists, tips, and activities for elementary, middle, and high school teachers. Here are some questions teachers should address in those first couple weeks:
- How will you design your classroom? How can your seating arrangement reflect how you want students to act?
- What systems will help you stay organized?
- How can you make your classroom inviting?
- What daily and weekly routines will affect your plans?
- How can you plan lessons to help create a positive class culture?
- What agreements can you make with your students?
- How do you create classroom rules?
- How will you share your class culture with families?
- What are your priorities this school year?
- How will you cope with moments of stress?
- How will you bring joy to the classroom and beyond every day?
To learn more, click here.
10 Wordless Videos that Teach Problem Solving
STEM classes present opportunities for students to build their problem-solving skills and ability to collaborate with others. These wordless videos are a great tool for students to see problem-solving skills in action. Students can retell the story and discuss how the characters approached the problem.
- Piper—A baby bird finds a wave to survive a big wave
- Ormie the Pig—A pig tries to get a jar of cookies off the top of the fridge
- Sweet Cocoon—It’s hard to fit in a cocoon!
- Let Me In!—Simon’s cat wants to come inside and make bad decisions
- Rollin’ Safari—What would animals be like if they were round?
- Embarked—Should a tree house follow its friend?
- TV Dinner—Simon’s cat won’t leave him alone
- Playmate—An old robot toy wants to play
- Birds on a Wire—A great lesson about how to treat others
- Sticky Tape—Tape is sticking to a cat—what should the cat do?
To learn more, click here.